How to setup custom domain for SharePoint online site if you have your domain name with Go Daddy?
In this blog, I will be showing you all the steps need to map your domain from Go Daddy to your SharePoint online site.
1. Log In to your Office 365 account and click on Domains and click on Add Domain
Specify Domain – Step 1
1. Type in your domain name in the filed and click on Check Domain
2. Check Domain will display your domain name, domain registrar and Registrant Name. If all the information are correct, click next
Verify Domain – Step 2
1. Use the table and instructions below to create a TXT record for a domain that is registered at Go Daddy.
- Sign in to your account at Go Daddy.
- Click the My Account tab.
- In the list of domain names, click the domain that you’re verifying.
- On the Domain Manager page, under DNS Manager, click Launch. The Zone File Editor page lists the DNS records associated with your domain.
- Below the Text (TXT) list, click Quick Add.
- In the Host box, type or paste office365point.com.
- In the TXT Value box, type or paste v=verifydomain MS=ms17718044.
- In the TTL box, type or paste 1 Hour.
- On the Zone File Editor page, click Save Zone File.
- In the confirmation dialog box, click OK.
- Sign out of the Go Daddy website. Wait at least 15 minutes for the changes to take effect.
- Return to Office 365 and click the Verify button below.
Specify Services – Step 3
The DNS record that you create to enable SharePoint Online for this domain by default restricts all other DNS records from working. You can configure DNS to work around this restriction so that you can use your domain with SharePoint Online together with other services. For more information, see Use SharePoint Online on a vanity domain together with other services.
Click next to continue
Office365point.com has been added to your account . You can now use this domain with Microsoft Online Services.
Next step: configure domain
To configure your domain to work with Microsoft Online Services, click Configure DNS records below. To return to this step at a later time, click Close. Learn more
Next step: Configure DNS and set up your website
To create your website, and to learn about the DNS record you’ll need to configure to route traffic to your website, go to the SharePoint Online Administration Center
Now you can see your domain is active. Just click on the domain to see DNS properties
Configuring SharePoint Online URL to Custom Domain Name
1. Go to SharePoint Online Administration Center and Click on Site Collections
2. In site collections select your domain which you want to configure your custom domain and select DNS Information
When you use your own website domain, you must update its DNS settings so the site is visible on the Internet. To do this, sign in to your domain registrar’s site and create a CNAME record for the domain with the following target address:
Copy ProdNet11.SharePointOnline.com and login into Go Daddy account and go to your DNS Manager
Go Daddy Says: Points to — Enter the host name you want the alias to point to. For example, type @ to map the alias directly to your domain name.
Reference: Add a CNAME Record
Click on Save and accept all the changes.
Setting up custom domain to your SharePoint Online Site
1. Go back go SharePoint Online Site | Administration Control | Site Collections
2. Select your Domain and click on Web Site Domains
Select a domain name from the list. To add new domain names to the list, go to Microsoft Online Services. Verified domains appear in the list when they are not in use by any other sites or services.
To rename your Website, select a new domain name from the list, and then click OK. After the name is changed, the DNS settings must be updated. To learn more about updating DNS settings, see DNS Basics .
Renaming the Website may change its functionality.
Once your DNS changed from Go Daddy, your new domain will resolve your SharePoint Online Site.